Thursday, May 13, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

One more from the files of how mature Molly is. The other day I was sitting down to draw a picture with Molly. I needed a specific image of a bee for a card to give to Marie announcing her Mother's Day spa package at a place called Queen Bee. Molly became frustrated at the idea of drawing something new. Marie has quite acutely noticed that Molly is so good at so many things so quickly that when she runs up against something she isn't a natural at she gets angry. Before she even tried to draw a bee she announced that she couldn't do it and she got upset. I offered to show her how to draw a bee but she was already in a mood so we set it aside and decided to try another time.
To my surprise the very next morning she went to her drawing table on her own (during her usual Curious George time even!) and came out a few minutes later announcing she had a special present. She unveiled a bee drawing she had done all on her own. Still in bed (Marie lets me sleep in) I was honestly a little teary-eyed. I was just so proud of her to take the initiative and make an attempt at it on her own. That and the bee was really pretty darn good! She was also proud of herself which is important. We try hard to really make her feel pride when she does something so mature. She immediately ran off to add the little Molly and Gracie bees next to Queen Mama Bee. This one is a keeper and another reminder of what a special and unique girl Molly is. She'd better watch out though, little Grace is hot on her heels.



No comments:

Post a Comment